Write a paper showing your understanding of work in modern America. Included in this paper must be an analysis of positive and negative aspects of our relatively new service/knowledge based economy and our place in the global economy. You must also critically analyze the interconnectedness of immigration, globalization, democracy, and corporate power.
Use evidence from Module 7 and Module 8, which include the following:
- The High Cost of Low Prices highlights the corporate practices and low price of Wal-Mart and how this impacts America and the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmnBbUjsPs
- This is What Democracy Looks Like covers the protest at the World Economic Forum meeting of September 11, 2000, in Melbourne, Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruf1iBgdujs
- Alexander, R. (2015). Direct democracy as necessary evil?: Perspectives from interest group leaders. International Social Science Review, 90(2), 1-23.
- Bradshaw, E. (2013). This is what a police state looks like: Sousveillance, direct action and the anti-corporate globalization movement. Critical Criminology, 21(4), 447-461.
- Oguz, S. (2015). Rethinking globalization as internationalization of capital: Implications for understanding state restructuring. Science & Society, 79(3), 336-362
- Hall, J. & Howell-Moroney, M. (2012). Poverty, innovation capacity, and state economic development in the knowledge economy: Evidence from the U.S. Growth & Change, 43(2), 228-251.
You Portfolio Project should meet the following requirements:
- Your paper should be 6-8 pages long, not including the title or reference pages.
- Cite a minimum of 4 peer-reviewed, scholarly journal sources beyond the textbook to support your statements.
- Use evidence from your textbook.
- Cite both films found in Module 7 (The High Cost of Low Prices and This is What Democracy Looks Like) and one other film used in the course.