Only use these sites to cite sources used EDU.//GOV.//ORG. or literature book for references
NO .COM SOURCES!!
BOOK >>Gardner E. Janet; Beverly Lawn; Jack Ridl, Peter Schakel, and Joanne Diaz. Literature A Portable Handbook 4th Ed. Bedford/St. Martin’s 2017
The research paper analysis centers on two literature titles “Hills like White Elephants” by Ernest Hemingway and Joke” and Patricia Lockwood “Rape Joke” determines how woman vs. man can be equated to conscience/morality/religion vs. pride/power
II. Hills like White Elephants
A. Both the man and the girl are full of pride
1. The man and girl cannot approach any issue without their anger spiraling out control.
2. Though they try to maintain an appearance of normalcy, freedom, and leisure, the girl is so skeptical of this happiness.
B. Both the girl and man have differing views on morality
1. The man insists that abortion is the simplest and most sensible thing, something that is at direct odds with feelings that the girl has about her pregnancy.
2. The man views abortion as an opportunity to go back to their usual pleasure-seeking, easygoing relationship, whereas the girl’s sarcasm shows that she doubts it and is being resistant.
C. The man exercises some power over the girl
1. The man relentlessly and persuasively tries to coerce the girl into accepting to do an abortion.
2. He dominates the girl subtly and in sinister ways in that he not only wants her to do what he wants but also wants her to want what he wants.
III. Patricia Lockwood “Rape Joke.”
A. The rapist uses power to overpower the woman
1. “The rape joke is that he carried a knife, and would show it to you, and would turn it over and over in his hands.”
2. There is a description of sexual assault that includes a sickening detail.
The two pieces of literature tried to show how the interaction between a man and a woman may bring about the issues of morality, conscience, pride, as well as power.
Can you expand on the two pieces of literature that ties in woman interaction with man via power, wealth or dominating factors?