Reading Assignment #4
Chapters 7 and 8
These questions come from chapters 7 and 8 of textbook Dean J. Champion 2012.Juvenile Justice System, The: Delinquency, Processing, and theLaw 7th ed
Answer Four Questions: (Two from each chapter)
Chapter 7: Prosecutorial Decision Making in Juvenile Justice
1. Should confidentiality of juvenile records be maintained? Why, or Why not?
2. Under what circumstances are public defenders appointed to juvenile offenders? Do different types of defense counsel, public or private make a difference in juvenile proceedings? Why?
3. How is a defense attorney’s presence ensure that a juvenile’s due process rights are preserved? What are guardians ad litem, and what are their functions?
4. What is the significance of Barker v. Wingo (1972)? Does the Barker case have any influence on juvenile matters? Why, or why not?
Chapter 8: Classification and Preliminary Treatment: Waivers and Other Alternatives
5. Identify and describe several types of judicial waivers. What is the rationale for using transfers?
6. What is concurrent jurisdiction?
7. What is a reverse waiver hearing? Under what circumstances such a hearing might be conducted?
8. What are five types of blended sentencing statutes? What are some positive benefits of blended sentencing statues for serious and violent juvenile offenders?
Janet B. L. Chan.1997. Changing Police Culture. “Policing in a
Multicultural Society.” Cambridge University Press.
Dunham, Roger G. and Geoffrey P. Alpert. 2005. Critical Issues in Policing. Fifth Ed.
Journal of ACJS, Justice Quarterly.
Journal of ASC, Criminologist/Criminology
Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency
N.I.J. Research in Brief
Journal of Security Administration