Purpose: The primary goal of this last weekly summative assignment is to explore one of the most important concepts in political science: political culture. In this final week, you will describe political culture and identify the ways in which political culture manifests in society.
Prepare: Review Chapters 14 and 15 in the course text and the following website: Daniel Elazar’s Political Culture typology.
Reflect: Political culture has an enormous impact at every level of politics; local, state, national, and international. How this culture manifests itself provides insights into the social, economic, and political structures, institutions, and actors of every political entity. The ability to identify, discuss, analyze, and evaluate how political culture impacts politics is an important skill that all political scientists must have in order to become a professional in their academic field of study.
Write: In your essay of at least 600 words, first describe the political cultures in two U.S states using Daniel Elazar’s Political Culture typology as a guide. Next, compare the differences and similarities between the political cultures of the states you selected. Last, using real-world examples to support your arguments, explain how and why the political cultures of each state influence state policies.
The Week Five Assignment:
- Must be at least 600 words (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the APA Essay Checklist for Students.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three appropriate sources:
- These should include Daniel Elazar’s Political Culture typology website, the course text, and any of the required or recommended resources for this week
- You can also include additional resources found on the Ashford University Library website. The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the In-Text Citation Guide.
- Must include an introductory paragraph with a succinct thesis statement.
- Must include a conclusion that summarizes the main points and restates the thesis.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the APA References List.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.