Deliverable Length: 5-paragraph essay in APA style
- Define key literary terms, such as plot, character, setting, point of view, figurative language, symbolism, and style.
Library Research Assignment
For this assignment you will create a 5-paragraph essay written in third person detailing the plot development of one of the short stories from this week’s reading list. For this paper you will be focusing on the five stages of plot development: Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution. Use the library and textbook to conduct research on plot development. You should define each of the five stages of plot development in your own words and provide examples from the story (directly quoted or paraphrased) to support your ideas.
The essay will include the following 5 paragraphs (paragraphs are at least 3 sentences each):
- Introductory paragraph. In your introductory paragraph you will hook the reader, name the title of the short story, and provide the author’s full name. Your paragraph will end with a thesis that introduces the purpose of the paper.
- Body Paragraph #1. Exposition: define the term and discuss the characters, the setting, and the situation at the start of the story. Rising Action: define the term and discuss the conflict, obstacle, or destabilizing event.
- Body Paragraph #2. Climax: define the term and discuss the most intense moment of the story.
- Body Paragraph #3. Falling Action: define the term and discuss the release of tension or a “twist” in the story. Resolution: define the term and discuss how the conflict is resolved at the end of the story.
- Concluding Paragraph. Your conclusion should restate your purpose, summarize your main ideas, and leave the reader with a closing thought.Short stories:
- “Young Goodman Brown” – Nathanial Hawthorn
- “The Secret Sharer” – Joseph Conrad
- “The Jewelry” Guy De Maupassant
- “A Story of an Hour” – Kate Chopin
- “The Cask of Amontillado” – Edgar Allen Poe